Thursday, October 3, 2013

First Thursday's Just For Fun: A Mighty Princess


About a month ago, I read an op-ed piece that made the rounds on social media, "My Life as a Warrior Princess." I was a huge fan of Xena back in the day, and that op-ed piece reminded me not only of my love of the show, but also of all the reasons why. After reading that NYT piece, I felt inspired to start rewatching it. The fact that Netflix has the entire series available on streaming made it all a reality. And, being me, I've also been live-tweeting my viewing:
Beyond how snark-able and MST3K-able the show is (always done with a love of the show in mind), here are some of the other things I love about this show:
  • Delicious anachronisms;
  • Over the top acting;
  • Strong feminist story lines. 

I even changed my Twitter profile to reflect part of the intro: "She was Jessica, a mighty librarian forged in the heat of battle."

How about you? What's your favorite thing about Xena? (And if you don't like Xena, why not?)

No comments:

Post a Comment