Thursday, May 1, 2014

Just For Fun: I'm Literally a Five-Headed Dragon. Who Cares!

Before I get started on why I love Welcome to Night Vale, let me warn you: I have only gotten up to episode 35, "Lazy Day." Those who include any spoilers in the comments will be summarily reported to a Vague Yet Menacing Government Agency, or perhaps just made to investigate the dog park.


Source

For those of you who are uninitiated, imagine H. P. Lovecraft wrote A Prairie Home Companion, or perhaps imagine what the public radio is like in Sunnydale. Everyone is calm and happy, goes about their business, in the midst of deliciously hilarious horrors.

I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't yet been initiated, don't worry: I'm going to try to tread lightly about specifics. That being said, here are some things I adore about this, the only podcast I listen to with any sort of regularity.
  • The Weather. This what they call the music part the part of every episode. Music styles as diverse as klezmer and rap, with artists I knew before hearing them on Night Vale and new artists to love. So good.
  • The Story. There's love, politics, intrigue, science, monsters... You've got to love anything, and sorry but this is a spoiler, where a five headed dragon is a candidate for mayor.
  • Librarians. The people behind the podcast obviously love librarians, with as much attention as is lavished on the Night Vale Public Library within the story. We have loved them back, you can be sure. And before you jump to the same conclusion I did, I've already got dibs on the director's office:

For those of you who are already in the fold, what do you love about it? (Please remember, no spoilers!) For those of you who have yet to indulge, why not?

3 comments:

  1. Cecil's perfect hair, Khoshekh the floating cat and Intern Dana are my favourites. But I just love the kookiness of Nightvale and the fact that despite that they tell such a compelling (love) story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to this! I am only on episode 4, but I am finding it to be kooky and delightful. Looking forward to the library episodes.

    ReplyDelete